A Brief History of Belle Grade Farm!

The house was constructed in the mid 19th century & completely reconstructed in 2017-2018. The first recorded mention of the property was in 1848. It was then called "Wild Cats Den" and "Belle Grade" and was purchased by Martin Low for $590.

According to old deeds, the original brick construction of Belle Grade is remarkable in the regions where wood & stone were the common building materials of the time period. The house was obviously the residence of a prosperous family who wanted to make their residence distinct from all others in the area. As the house was originally constructed around the time of the Civil War, the first floor construction is "three bricks thick"- commonly called "cannonball thickness"...the second floor is "two bricks thick". Located within a mile of the Mason-Dixon Line, the property area was also part of the Underground Railroad.

The 2017-18 reconstruction fully embraces the original architecture of the farmhouse- while not all placement is original due to corrected structural issues & some space improvements, much of the architectural character is still present and materials were repurposed when possible, such as one of the original doorways repurposed into a lovely built-in & lighted cabinet in the Game Room and the refacing of the original basement fireplace with brick recovered from demo area of original kitchen!

Belle Grade Farmhouse
Ground level entry/exit to the Basement with a stone wall built from foundation stones recovered from the original kitchen area.

Belle Grade Farmhouse - Circa 1860
Belle Grade Farmhouse - Circa 1860

Old door frame repurposed into a lighted cabinet in the game room.
Original doorway re-purposed into a lighted cabinet